Robert Downey Jr. on Iron Man 3 Script: "The Best I've Read in Five Years"


With the sequel Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows opening later this month, The Avengers opening next May, Iron Man 3 set to to shoot next year, writer Drew Pearce recently hired to write Sherlock Holmes 3, and Avengers 2 already in the works, it's safe to consider actor Robert Downey Jr. the king of movie franchises.

Add to that another potential franchise in Perry Mason, a project that was just recently announced as another acting and producing vehicle for Downey Jr. In an interview with Extra, Downey Jr. confirmed that Perry Mason was a possibility, though he has a pretty busy, aforementioned schedule to work on first.

Yeah [it's happening], but it doesn't have to happen right away. I'll come to talk to you about The Avengers next spring and then I'll shoot Iron Man 3 and then I think I'll, you know, take a pause there.

The "pause" that Downey Jr. is referring to is due to the baby he and his wife and producing partner Susan Downey are expecting in February. Fortunately, Downey Jr. is already committed to Iron Man 3, since the actor is a huge fan of the script.

Iron Man 3 is probably the best script I've read in five years, which is so funny. I mean, things have come so full circle that, like, a genre superhero movie can actually be the most artistic bit of writing I read. But I think it is something a lot of the fans are really looking forward to, so I'm excited about that. And then, the third Iron Man to me is an opportunity to go back to the kind of storytelling and character exploration that made the first one good.

Iron Man 3 was written by Pearce and director Shane Black. Not much has been revealed about the sequel, though, reportedly, Tony Stark will be fighting "real world villains" in a "Tom Clancy-style thriller". Black has promised that the villain will be one that "fanboys will appreciate," and, most recently, said that the sequel will be "a return to the type of action movie I remember so fondly, which is less random carnage and more thriller — less action, more suspense." Downey Jr., meanwhile, has said that Iron Man 3 will "leave it all on the field."

That is, until the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment